You know, it’s funny (not really “ha-ha” funny), we’re talking about a school board — a low-level elected body. Yet, you need to pay attention to everything that goes on within our little District because what is going on impacts our kids! For instance:
- You should be outraged that a page like SPEAK has to exist. Teaches are afraid to speak publicly! I’ll say it again…teachers are afraid.
- You should be shocked that a journalist was ejected from a school board meeting and then was initially banned from subsequent board meetings (he is now allowed back!). First Amendment, anyone?
- You should be alarmed that ALEC has its fingerprints all over our Board of Education and certain District employees (I’m lookin’ at you Cinamon Watson!)
- You should be concerned that your voice, as a parent, is basically silenced because the Board has not validated the Parent Survey, in fact, I think they are actively ignoring those surveys.
- You should be saddened that DCSD high schools are forced to start Academic Booster clubs in order to fund programs that are not being funded by the District.
- You should be worried that as the District declines, so do your property values.
- You should be upset that DCSD high school students are being short-changed by over-extending their teachers (extra hours, extra students, NO extra compensation) and down-sizing their instructional hours.
- You should be wondering why some elementary classes have 30-35 kids.
- You should be asking why our Superintendent is the highest paid public school executive in Colorado, while DougCo programs are being cut and the District could only give teachers (the lifeblood of your kids’ education) a 1% raise after a four year pay freeze.
- You should be questioning why the DCSD state ranking has dropped from “Accredited with Distinction” to “Accredited” in 2010 (see ranking info)
- You should be ticked off that some of the best and brightest teachers in the District have left .
So, I ask you…are you paying attention yet?